11 November, 2008

Anchor's Aweigh

From a Navy Brat:


There are few things in this world that I am more proud of than US Veterans. In my family I have 3, my parents and my Grandpa Karkan.I feel like it's hard to give proper recognition these days, as is seems that often expressing pride of patriotism is almost like a trend or fad that comes and goes around holidays and in times of national emergency. Because of this everyone has an ode to patriotism making it often dismissed as something worth attention.
This is why I think it's hard to explain what it is. For me this pride can only be expressed by the effect it has on me. It's what causes me to choke up every time I sing our anthem or other patriotic song. The same whenever I see our military on TV coming home and running into the arms of their loved ones they haven't seen in months. I think how that used to by my family watching and waiting in anticipation. See my mom with the glasses holding me?It's the swelling in my heart when I see an elderly veteran and hear him tell stories of going ashore on D-day and the camaraderie he had with his fellow soldiers. It's how I loved watching my Dad take so much pride in putting his flag up in the front yard every day with such dedication and respect, and how my mom took such care of our neighbors gravesite knowing that he would be honoured by such respect.It's the sense of community I feel when our whole town comes together to celebrate the freedom they share. It's the stark reality I feel at a funeral when a mother, widow, or child is presented with their flag and thanked for their service to country. As the 21-gun salute further makes this reality sting, it's then that I remember the famous saying that, "freedom isn't free." Lots of people have made many sacrifices in their lives to provide that for us, and some are still providing that today.

Freedom is bought with a price just like our salvation was bought with the price of Jesus' blood. Through His sacrifice we can live in freedom and enjoy His blessings that come with that. Even if you aren't an American and don't feel the same sense of American patriotism, I think it's wonderful to think that we can still share the same sense of pride having the same freedom we receive through Christ's sacrifice for all mankind.
God Bless America!

1 comments:

Mom said...

Things are sacrificed because of a little four letter word called, "LOVE". God so Loved the world He gave his only Son. Love of family, love of country. All things great are the sacrifices of love. Love Mom