Well, I think I am going to break this up. Otherwise there would be too much info lost in this last incredible week.
This post will cover my team's arrival, orientation and travels to Tak.
When I found out that we would have 3 teams coming within 3 weeks of each other I quickly found out that it is a lot of work! Our third team however ended up being 2 teams because 18 people signed up to serve in Thailand! Way to go Montana district! The teams were split into team A and team B, very original I know! A was slated to serve with the Hmong in Northern Thailand and team B was to serve in Bangkok with our local ministries. Most of team A arrived early in the week to spend the time recovering from jet lag and
visiting a few places they wouldn't get to see in the city. So they came into the office on Thursday while my supervisor Kristin was coming to work with me. On Saturday we got to do orientation! This was actually unique for me as I wasn't able to do a formal orientation with the Bamboo Island team. I really enjoyed it because I got to hear from Dennis Denow who has served in and out of Thailand for many years as well as Christie Nelson who I mentioned before served here for 15 years. Goi from our church also came and did a neat activity with them about culture and certain things to be aware of concerning the differences between Thai and American culture. Seth even got to come along for the fun!
Here is our group afterwards before we left for lunch at Big C.
For their "cultural learning" we took them to the Grand Palace where everyone got a chance to see the unique architecture of the Wat of the Emerald Buddha and learn how Buddhism is such an intricate part of Thai culture. Following that we went to the Jim Thompson house where they learned about Thai housing styles. To end the evening we all got to eat at the Siam Paragon food court and then peruse the Thai style street foods!
Sunday, everyone was up bright and early and had all their stuff packed into the van by the time I arrived at the hotel at 9am. We departed for church at Phongphet at 9:30.
Pastor Schultz was the guest preacher that morning. The church then provided lunch for us afterwards which included an absolutely delicious Panang Curry!!! After lunch we packed it up and moved it out! Our team then headed for a 4 hour drive to the Suan Sin hotel in Tak province and enjoyed a nice Chinese style dinner which everyone agreed was delicious! That night we headed to bed early for our last night in comfy beds. We planned to start the next day early! Here are the rest of the orientation pictures!
1 comments:
Hi there! I too am doing a series of blog entries. It will be fun to see what everyone's perspective on the trip was. Also I may link to your blog so others can read it.
Post a Comment