What can I say. At Christmas, people surround themselves with things that are familiar like family and traditions. Living in Thailand for Christmas the last two years, I have attempted to do that, but with a few additions and changes. For example, this year on Christmas Eve, Sarah and I went to the IMPACT center for the OTOP festival. It has nothing to do with Christmas whatsoever, but it only happens 4 times per year. It is a big convention where vendors from all over Thailand come and sell Thai gifts, housewares, clothing, jewelry, accessories, and food. I think we walked around there for nearly 4 hours or until we were exhausted! Then we went out for dinner to the Pizza Company! On Christmas morning we plugged in the Christmas tree my Grandma gave me, cranked up the AC so we could wear our sweaters while I worked on a Thomas Kinkade puzzle and we watched It's A Wonderful Life. It was so nice to relax. That afternoon, we ventured out into the heat and went to a volunteer's house for Christmas dinner, complete with ham, potatoes, fresh baked bread, greens, apple crisp and vanilla ice cream!! It was so good, and our company was even better. The volunteer comes to the daycare where Sarah works and knowing that we might want to have a Christmas like at home, they invited us to their house for dinner with their two daughters! The day wasn't over, as we went back to the daycare in Bang Na and joined some of the older students, P Maew, P Wow, and P Gorb Christmas caroling in the slum.
They visited several of the older people who are shut-ins and gave them food, robes and music.
The people were so happy to see these kids and I got to enjoy spending more time in the community!
So, not a typical American Christmas experience, but a good one!
0 comments:
Post a Comment