17 December, 2009

Christmas Shopping?

This is not what you might think. There were no malls, crowds, or sold out action figures in this story. No, today Dang, La, Khun Oi and I drove to the Cambodia Market near the Thai-Cambodia border and our purpose was to buy 150 winter coats for people living in Northern Thailand. Even though we don't have snow or negative degrees like North America, it still gets pretty cold for hill tribe people living in the mountains and in houses made out of bamboo, on stilts, with no indoor heating. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was surprised when we showed up in this market the size of a small town and arrived at a store that sold coats by the mountain! Literally, the place we went to had a pile of coats as big as a huge haystack on which Dang and I climbed looking for nice coats to buy for the children. Here's me sitting on top of one pile checking out a coat. Even though it was hot in there, we still had lots of fun and boat over 150 second-hand coats for adults and children for only about $130ish. One pack of clothes we shipped straight from the market. The rest we will deliver in January when we go to Pakham Mai for children's day celebration.

0 comments: