08 January, 2010

In the Beginning

I didn't schedule much for the first couple days of my guests' trip because I figured they might want to take it easy and do things as they came up. Jet lag gets even the best of them! My parents got their luggage at 3am I guess. This morning we met at the TK Palace and headed to Bang Na so they could visit the daycare where Sarah works at. It was the first project of CWEFT that they were able to see. Right away, when we pulled up, my Mom literally squealed to see several of the kids peeking their heads out the front door. From that moment on, I think they were all on cloud nine. I knew that getting them away from here might possibly include kicking and screaming! The children greeted them and sang several songs that they have learned. Afterwards, the guests got to introduce themselves and Marti brought along a craft to make with them. Everyone joined in, and helped get the stickers off of jewels meant to represent the blessings from God. Jim and my Dad made friends with the kids. Having men volunteer and visit is a big deal for these kids, so they were soon a favourite. After craft time was over we went for a visit through the Bang Na slum with P Maew, and Sarah. Dad acquired a new buddy too - P Lek who asked if he would adopt her! So sweet! Sad for my parents and the Brueggemans, we had to leave. P Dang took them out for lunch at the first restaurant I ever ate at in Thailand -Kow Mu Dang. They got to eat in this garage style hot spot, packed with people on metal stools, drinking water out of tin cups and eating one of the best Thai dishes in BKK. Afterwards my Dad tried his hand at buying street food- this time grilled bananas, and then we all packed up and headed for LISA. My home congregation in Ohio donated communion ware to be used by one of the churches, so the Brueggemans and my parents were able to present them to Pastor Sompong. We then ended up staying the rest of the afternoon, as Mom and Marti went upstairs to listen to the lectures and Dad, Jim and I talked with Dr. Harms and some of the sem guys. That was pretty much the end of our day, except getting their bags to my apartment and repacking them. We had another early start the next day.

0 comments: