Every year LCMS-World Mission in Thailand hosts the urban youth camp for children living in the Bang Na slum area of Bangkok. For these children, this camp is one of the most significant events of their year. For two days and one night they stay at a retreat center that they consider to be the equivalent of a luxury resort. It has clean rooms, beds, plenty of food to eat, safety and there are a bunch of adults there always ready to provide them with a smile or hug whenever they need it. They for once get a chance to be kids and have fun with their friends. Most important of all, they get an opportunity to learn about Jesus and His love for them.
The two days this year were filled with songs, games, bible studies, devotions, bible skits, and crafts
all pointing to Christ and our relationship with Him. The children learned about Zaccheus and how Jesus sought him out to be his friend when no one else would. They also learned about how God sees His children and cares for and loves them.
The adults included LCMS-WM, staff from CWEFT, Pastor Taweep from the TCLC, and volunteers and staff at the Concordia Daycare in Bang Na. I loved playing with the kids and realizing that the looked up to me as a grown up. Everything I did was perceived by these kids who are at a very impressionable age. I got to "try" to teach some of them to swim, and I even succeeded in having some of the "cool" boys warm up to me.
When I first got there they all stuck to themselves, but at the very end I had one kid tap me on the shoulder so he could pound my fist before they left. I considered that to be quite an accomplishment! Oh well, I hope and pray that God would continue to grow and nourish the seeds of faith in them and the daycare staff that they may know Christ's personal love for them and their families! Here are pictures from the camp!
20 October, 2009
Relating to Christ
Posted by Deac-Bets at 6:20 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment