22 November, 2009

Koh Kret

Today Pastor Nolan from Lutheran Church Canada preached at Into Light Church. He has been in SE Asia for the past several weeks training local leaders in Cambodia and Thailand. The past week he was at LISA with Pastor Sompong and Pastor Taweep training Pastors from the south, north, and northeast.

After church Pastor Sompong asked Sarah and I if we wanted to join them for an outing to Koh Khret. It's an island in Nonthaburi near where I live, but I didn't even realize how close it is to me! We agreed and made plans to meet the two Pastors at 2pm.
Most foreigners don't know about this place, so we were an unusual sight amidst a sea of Thai people. The short ferry ride across the river brought us to a maze of vendors selling everything from bags and wind chimes to coffee and fried flowers! Like good Lutherans our first stop was for some coffee. Then Pastor Nolan stocked up on a few last minute souvenirs. We booked it back to the pier by 4pm for a cruise around the island. The cruise included some nice scenic views as well as a couple stops at Thai dessert and candy stores. The second place had a talking bird and showed traditional Thai dessert making! The last stop was a temple, so we stayed on the boat and fed these enormous fish that were nearby! It was overall pretty neat and a nice relaxing afternoon. Click here for pictures!

2 comments:

Mom said...

I can't belive all the stuff they are selling. Our markets are nothing compared to theirs. Love Mom
P.S. What did you buy me! :)

Deac-Bets said...

Nothing! I'm taking you there so you can buy your own stuff!!