19 March, 2009

My First Day!

After 6 months of living in Thailand it's weird to feel like I am going through an adjustment period all over again. I have to learn the van, truck and bus systems. Learn how to tell a taxi how to get to my house (still not so sure on that one). I have to find food; the real kind that is healthy and I can actually cook with. Then today I got to experience my first day of the next year and a half working at the LCMS-WM/ CWEFT office. First of all, La showed me how to get there by climbing into the back of the blue truck until it stops at the 5-way intersection, then from there take the van that says Minburi or Future-Rangsit (in thai script) and have the driver stop at the Big-C. Then cross Chaengwattana road using the overpass, walk through the back yard of TK Palace hotel, up an alley and voila! I'm at work 45 minutes to an hour later!
At the office, I got to work on installing Pastor Bob's scanner to one of the computers, then I updated internet explorer on my computer because version 4 or 5 wasn't cutting it for me. Dang and I then met and discussed the focus, goals, and plans of our team, local churches, other partners and how we all work together. This gave me lots of notes and an assignment to work on. It's so exciting to see the work of all these individuals come together in a whole. It reminds me of how we are all the body of Christ working together to accomplish His will.
By that time it was lunch which P Yuung went and delivered to us. The afternoon included me putting my notes into a word doc diagram and teacing La how to save files that she scanned. Before I knew it, it was time to go home and it only felt like an hour! La and I completed the circle back home using an un-airconditioned bus that drives like a tank and another truck or song taeow as they call them here. The greatest thing was forcing myself to keep work at work and to spend time reading, watching scrubs online or actually cooking a real dinner for once and eating it at a kitchen table instead of over a sink! In all, a great day!!

0 comments: