Saturday was mostly spent driving and driving and driving though we did stop periodically to shop for ceramics. Perhaps the highlight of the day was when we reached our destination-a river bank where Dang informed us that the other side of it was Burma. I wasn't expecting that, so it was kind of like, "oh really, is that all?" So I did what everyone else did, took a picture and moved on. Not every day I get to see another country and armed guards making sure no one came on our side.
Easter Sunday morning arrived with much excitement for me as it normally does. We were going to be returning to one of the Hmong villages we visited last month and would be dedicating their church with a big celebration afterwards!
When we arrived, it was as if the whole community had pitched in for this event. They had a tent in the side yard and under it several men of the village were butchering what was left of a cow and pig.
This indeed was a major celebration as Hmong people only eat vegetables and fruit unless there is a special occasion to eat meat.
While preparations where being made, I found the two little girls I met on my previous trip and showed them the picture of snow from my home in Ohio. They were absolutely fascinated and stared at it for 10 minutes!
As soon as I sat down this created a mass flock of children. Little Jaw climbed up in my lap next to his sister and remained at my side for the rest of the morning. Eventually a mini-Sunday school broke out when La pulled out the Easter story coloring books and had Sarah teach it to the children gathered. After the lesson they all colored Easter eggs that said HE IS RISEN! What started as 4 children turned into 20+!
Basically the morning was just a blur of children in and out of the place.
Once all the preparations were made the 4 Pastors, Taweep, Fungshato, Suphan and ? robed up and everyone gathered for the dedication and Easter morning service. The four of them, Dang and one of he elders all participated in the ribbon cutting and unveiling of the church sign- Pakham Mai Community Lutheran Church. Most of those gathered joined in the service, though some sat outside. Originally I sat down in the seat where I had placed my bag only to discover that they differentiate between men and women in seating and I was definitely sitting on the men's side with Pastor Taweep's wife. This was fixed soon, and the rest of the service continued on and was spoken in the Hmong language so I didn't really understand anything.
When the service ended we took pictures
and then partook of the huge feast that had been prepared. I managed to avoid the raw beef dish which Sarah tried unknowingly. The rest of the meal was great, especially the pork. It was funny though when I leaned over to Sarah and pointed out that our lunch was one of those cute little pigs running around this morning happy as can be. Somehow she didn't think it was quite as hilarious! :D
During lunch I asked Suphan when he was going to teach me Hmong, so he started by telling us what a spoon, rice, eat and hello meant. It's a start at least, but for now I'll stick to Thai.
So, that was that. It was probably one of the most unique Easter Sunday's I will ever have. How neat for this congregation to begin worship in their new sanctuary celebrating together the resurrection of our Lord! I was so glad to be there, and even though it wasn't my home or my home language, I realized that as Christians we are always home with family wherever we go in whatever language and in whatever time. Happy Easter to all of you!
0 comments:
Post a Comment