14 October, 2008

Full-moon?

As nearly all my friends and family are either still asleep or just waking up, I am starting to get ready for bed. It's still hard for me to get used to things like these. Several times I have almost called my parents on the phone before remembering that it was like 3am their time.
Tonight I stood out on my balcony looking at the city and realized that I can't see any stars at all. The smog here is so thick that even the full-moon is hazy. At night the city looks like any normal city, with the lights, tall buildings, and traffic. Of course it's bigger than any city I've ever been to, but still with the darkness I can't see all the things that make it different from all the other cities I've been to. I don't see abandoned construction projects, porches laden with drying clothes, and every spare inch of ground crammed with the most random collection of buildings. There is no such thing as zoning here, so literally there are slums and high rises only divided by a wall or fence.
Another thing that is hard for me to grasp is that there is only one season here-hot. Well, I guess technically there are three, but I only know them as: comfortably hot in the shade, very hot with monsoon rains, and Lord please don't let me die of heat stroke it's hot! So far, I've only experienced the very hot with rain one, and I am still under the apparent delusion that because it's October it should start to cool down eventually. According to my map of Thailand/Bangkok I got from the Steiners, the average high in December goes down to 31 degrees-that's in Celsius (88 in Farenheit). I can't wait! I keep telling Sarah that one day I will arrive at school and not be sweating. LOL
Well, I better get some rest! Thursday's the last day of module 2, and this weekend we are helping the CWEFT staff with a youth retreat!

1 comments:

Mom said...

It's OK to call your mom at 3:00am if you want to. Can I call you at 3:00am your time too? :D