Hehe....as many of you have read, every morning I pass by at least one monk on my way to school. At first, I was just plain curious at this. It's not everyday you walk down the street in the US and see some guy walking around in an orange robe, with people kneeling on the ground giving him food. A little while after the curiosity wore off, I was sad because I knew that these men were modern day indulgence sellers, and that the people were making their offerings in vain to nothing. They are just living a life without hope and without Christ. So, in order to make themselves right with whatever they have to earn merit, and do good works.
So now, instead of looking at that every day and just feeling depressed, I have been trying to find humour in foolishness. If you ever watched the Ed Sullivan show or have heard Jim Henson's muppet charachters hum this tune, you'll know just what my favorite monk sounds like. He's this big guy who stands next to this food area giving out blessings and getting loads upon loads of food, but when he gives people his blessing, it sounds like he's saying meh-nah-meh-na..meh-na-meh na na in this really deep mellowtone voice. I chuckle now every time I pass him. Also, there is a monk helper who every time I see him, he is texting on his cell phone, and this is 7:30 in the morning! I always look him in the eye and smile big at him, thinking maybe he will be thrown off by that. One time that actually worked and he looked at me a bit bewildered. Sarah and I are also contemplating whether or not these different monks are territorial, because one day a monk gave another monk a glare, and we figured he had taken his spot. I think it may have been the same guy we saw take a tuk-tuk back to his Wat because he had so many buckets of food!
Oh my, who would have ever thought in my entire life, I would have these experiences!
11 October, 2008
Meh-nah-meh-nah!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
This is so sad. I pray those monks wonder what makes you so happy walking around with that cross around your neck.
Post a Comment