I think one of the most terrifying things for Christians to do is talk to complete strangers about their faith. If you have ever canvased a neighborhood, passed out tracts, or volunteered with your church evangelism committee, maybe you can relate to this fear. Perhaps you may have also had the experience of being roped into doing one of the above mentioned activities, and you were not just terrified, but you grumbled about the fact that you had to do this even though you didn't want to.
I can say that I have fit both of those descriptions before and may even a little right now. Tomorrow, our Thai language class is going on a field trip for the end of Module 2. Our teacher decided that we are going to go to Lumpini Park to practice speaking with Thai people about our faith since everyone in our class is Christian. I am very nervous. I have a hard enough time putting together basic sentences in class, and now I have to find a stranger, explain that I am studying Thai, and would like to talk to them about Jesus in Thai. My first reaction to this was I felt ill, that was followed by dread, and then I grumbled.
I know...I know... I'm a missionary, so I'm not supposed to feel this way, right? Well, unfortunately, I still suffer the effects of sin just as much as the next person, including-I realize- the people I am going to meet tomorrow at the park. The difference between us is that I have the forgiveness that comes only through faith in Christ and since 98% of Thai people are Buddhist, chances are that they don't.
I have a feeling that this will turn out to be a really positive experience like these things usually do. It never fails that when I grumble about doing something Christian, God always opens my eyes to the fact that He can do anything, and usually in ways beyond my understanding.
15 October, 2008
Public Speaking :(
Posted by Deac-Bets at 6:57 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
JOSHUA 1:9 I think that says it all :D Love MOM
Post a Comment